Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Chasing God Part I

     I've been chasing God every since I realized He existed.  That is, pretty much since the words  "seek ye first the kingdom of Heaven" jumped out at me from the pages of the Bible.  I was a very young person struggling to understand what direction my life should take.  This, I determined, would be the main focus I would strive for in the years that were to come.
    But try as I might, the more I chased after him, the farther he seemed to retreat.  Now, I never expected to catch him, but I hoped he might slow down enough for me to at least walk beside him.  For years, I struggled with a host of problems - - depression, sexual sin, bulimia, theological questions that seemed beyond my ability to deal with and sent my faith into a tailspin, and most recently, multiple bouts of cancer.  I often wondered where God was at in all my problems and why I couldn't feel his presence.  Most of the time I couldn't pray and felt total emptiness.  Forget about the times I had felt joy as a baby Christian.  Those where the times I enjoyed being at church and experienced the presence of the Lord in prayer, to the point where I felt like an electric current was running through my body.
     Many times during all this, I literally "tied a knot at the end of my rope and hung on."  I told myself, "What else can I do?"  I didn't want to throw in the towel and take the attitude that he didn't exist, or if he did he didn't care about me.  Somewhere, somehow, I knew he would answer if I just held on long enough.
    

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this. Looking forward to reading Part II.

Tip said...

Teresa, I'm so glad you're still there. I have missed you. I thought perhaps I had said something on FB that upset you and that's why we weren't communicating. If I did I'm truly sorry. Please know I would never purposely say or do anything to hurt you or anyone. Love in Christ and best wishes.

Unknown said...

Just now saw this - I think we have talked on FB since you first posted this, but I wanted to make sure you knew that you have never offended me. I don't think you could - I feel we are like minded soul sisters. I always love our chats. I love your writing - it is a gift. I'm hoping you'll start posting more! I have been a little slack the past few months with my writing. Hope all is going well for you, dear friend.